Not all men are created equal; some are total jackasses. Yet, even when we are dating the biggest jerk on the planet, we come up with a hundred reasons why we shouldn’t dump him. We think “What if I don’t meet someone better?” or “Maybe it’s my fault that he acts like a total psycho sometimes.”
Don’t let twisted rationalizations stop you from moving on to bigger and better men.
Never continue to date a guy just because:
* Your mother thinks he’s wonderful. She also thought that puke green sweater was cute that she bought you for your birthday. What matters is how you feel about him and how he treats you.
* You are used to him. You could also get used to a giant wart on your hand but you’d still be better off without it.
* He promised to get help for his anger issues and this time he really means it, damn it!
* He hasn’t done drugs in an entire week and you think this is a sign that he’s finally overcoming his addiction.
* You feel bad for him. All men can be pitiful at times but if you feel pity every day when you look at him lying there, it’s time to call it quits.
* You feel like someday he might hold down a decent job. Don’t love him for the man you imagine he could be. Break up with him for the half-a-man that he is.
* There is a wedding, holiday or other family event coming up in a few months and you need a date. There are plenty of potential dates out there. Don’t waste a month of your life dating a loser just so you don’t have to face your crazy relatives alone.
* He’s the first guy who ever called when he was supposed to. If those phone calls are making him shine above the rest, it’s time to meet more men.
* All your friends are dating someone or married. If this is the case, it’s also time to make new friends!
* Because you are afraid you won’t meet someone better. There are a gazillion single men in the world, which means no matter who you are dating, there is someone better.
If a guy doesn’t treat you with the respect you deserve, it’s time to kick him to the curb along with all the excuses and rationalizations that have been keeping you in the relationship. Remember: if you’re willing to settle for less than what you deserve, you will get it every time.
Copyright 2010 © Alison James.